My ward is striving for a "month of perfection." I, of course, will only need one month to become perfect, so this will work out nicely.
The theme for this month is, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Philippians 4:13) This scripture was followed by 10 things we need to do for perfection.
I thought for sure the flyer was wrong:
First, I'm sure they didn't mean to underline and bold and *star* and make #5, which is "everyone ask someone on a date," 30pts larger than the other goals. Dating requires more emphasis than prayer or service?
And secondly, shouldn't the theme read, "I can do all things through Christ WHO strengthens me" instead of "WHICH?" Is "which" a typo? Well I checked, and Philippans told me that "which strengthenth me" is indeed correct.
So what does that mean if Christ isn't the person strengthening me? what is strengthening me? Oh crap, i'm pretty sure that its doing the things that I think I can't do that will strengthen me. (Omitting words like "crap" from my lexicon comes later in the "month of perfection.") So let's break it down, hip-hop style:
I can do all things.
I can do all things through Christ.
I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me.
I can do all things when Christ strengthens me.
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
I can do all things that will strengthen me through Christ.
I can do all things (even the hard or yucky ones) through Christ. This will strengthen me.
"If they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me (Christ), then will I make weak things become strong unto them."(Ether 12:27)
With humility and faith in Christ, I can do all things and he will make my weak things strong.
I always forget that it is actually easier to rely on Christ, with faith, to make me stronger. Often, I allow what I perceive as my weaknesses to consume me as I hyper-focus and try to fix them myself.
So if you see me in November, you will know that the "month of perfection" did not lead to immediate translation, as I had originally supposed.
No comments:
Post a Comment